The Best Organic Pacifiers For Breastfed And Formula Fed Babies
This post contains affiliate links which may earn Eco Mom Diaries a small commission.
Babies are born with a strong sucking reflex, and can oftentimes be seen on an ultrasound sucking their thumb while in the womb as a soothing mechanism.
Pacifiers can likewise be a great tool for comforting babies. They help babies to self-soothe, fall asleep, and also help to calm babies down during stressful situations, such as doctor visits or long car rides.
Pacifiers also help to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Researchers have found that babies who use pacifiers at nap and bedtime are less likely to die from SIDS.
With that said, there are a ton of pacifier brands available for babies, and parents have the option of choosing between silicone, latex and organic rubber. However, choosing one isn’t as easy as you might think—especially if you’re a first time parent.
Although most latex and silicone pacifiers are safe to use and free from hormone disrupting chemicals such as BPA, the safest pacifier for babies will always be made from organic rubber.
What Are The Benefits Of Natural Rubber Pacifiers?
Organic rubber pacifiers offer a number of benefits to both parents and their new babies:
- Natural rubber is hypoallergenic and free from any chemical or synthetic additives, making them safer for babies to use.
- Unlike other pacifiers, natural rubber pacifiers mimic the shape and softness of a mother’s breast. This flexible and stretchy material creates an easy back-and-forth transition for a breastfed baby.
- Natural rubber pacifiers are also eco-friendly, sustainable, biodegradable, and are made with minimal ingredients.
How To Sterilize A Natural Rubber Pacifier
Natural rubber pacifiers need to be sterilized like any other pacifier. However, because they are made from natural material, it is best to boil them just once (before initial use) to prevent damage from the high heat.
Future sterilization requires that you put the pacifiers in a bowl, and simply pour boiling water over them. This scalding method is a gentle yet thorough way to kill germs and bacteria without damaging your natural rubber pacifiers.
- Put the pacifiers in a clean bowl
- Pour them with boiling water
- Let the pacifiers soak for approx. 5 min.
- Pick them up and let them dry
How Often Should I Replace A Natural Rubber Pacifier?
Since natural rubber pacifiers don’t last as long as their silicone competitor, you will need to change your baby’s pacifier every 4-8 weeks.
The nipples of natural rubber pacifiers will eventually expand, change shape and even turn gooey, so it’s very important to have another one on hand, and switch it out as soon as you see this type of wear.
With that said, below are 8 recommended natural rubber pacifiers that are available in different shapes and sizes, as it’s important to always choose an age-appropriate size to prevent your baby from choking. Hence, as your baby grows, you’ll need to upgrade the size of their pacifier (typically around 3 and 6 months).
The 8 Best Organic Pacifiers To Help Soothe Your Baby
1. BibsUSA Natural Rubber Pacifiers
The BIBS natural rubber baby pacifier mimics both the shape and softness of a mothers’ breast. Their classic appearance captures a look that’s both timeless and elegant. All BIBS pacifiers are made in Denmark from 100% natural latex and are lead and pthalate free.
- 100% natural rubber
- Rounded nipple design to mimic breast
Designed and manufactured in Denmark
- 100% free of BPA, PVC and phthalates
- Sold in packs of 2
2. Natursutten Natural Rubber Pacifiers
Made from pure, all-natural latex rubber from the Hevea Brasiliense tree, Natursutten natural rubber pacifiers are softer than silicone and are extremely hygienic because they are molded in one piece. By gently touching baby’s nose, Natursutten pacifiers are designed to closely simulate breastfeeding, which provides a more familiar soothing experience for your baby.
- Made from liquid rubber milk from sustainably harvested rubber trees
- Safe one piece design
- Handmade in Italy
- No BPA, phthalates, or chemical softening agents
3. Hevea Natural Rubber Pacifiers
Hevea organic pacifiers are made from 100% natural rubber from HEVEA trees, and feature a silky smooth touch that is gentle on baby’s face and teeth. These eco-friendly pacifiers are completely plant-based and biodegradable at the end of their life, and feature safe, FDA Approved color pigments—it’s actually one of the only colored natural rubber pacifiers on the market!
- 100% natural rubber from the sap of Hevea trees
- Orthodontic design promotes proper teeth alignment
- Uniquely designed ventilation holes
- Hygienic solid design – eliminates bacteria
- Pack of two pacifiers
4. Frigg Natural Rubber Pacifiers
FRIGG natural rubber pacifiers are designed and manufactured in Denmark, and each one contains a whimsical design that moms love. The outward curve keeps the pacifier off of baby’s delicate skin, while other features like air holes and a security handle ensure that your little one stays safe.
- Made from 100% natural rubber
- Contains a flower petal design and breathable holes
100% free from BPA, PVC and phthalates.
- Sold in packs of 2
- Designed and manufactured in Denmark.
5. EcoPiggy Natural Rubber Pacifiers
EcoPiggy natural pacifiers are sustainably made from 100% natural rubber, and designed in one single-piece. This nontoxic pacifier contains no choking hazards and is BPA, phthalate, PVC, and paraben-free. Plus, they’re hand-inspected and packaged in the USA!
- Sustainably made from 100% natural rubber
- Single piece design
- Round shield lightly touches the child’s nose, simulating the soothing feel of breast feeding
Plastic-free, bpa-free, pvc-free, paraben-free, no chemical-softeners, no colorants
6. Itzy Ritzy Natural Rubber Pacifiers
The Itzy Ritzy Soother pacifier features a silicone body and cherry-shaped natural rubber nipple that is designed to closely mimic the feel of breastfeeding.
- The natural rubber nipple is cherry-shaped to closely mimic breastfeeding
- The handle of each pacifier features precious cable detailing
- Meet ASTM safety standards and are BPA free
- Sold as a 2-pack of coordinating pacifiers
7. Zoë B Natural Rubber Pacifier
The Zoë B Simply Rubber Pacifiers are made as one piece and contain symmetrical nipples which closely resemble a mother’s breasts. They are made from the highest quality Hevea tree, and hand-crafted in Italy.
100% pure natural rubber pacifier soft and natural rounded nipple
- Safe one piece design
- Tamper-proof packaging
- Handcrafted In Italy
8. Sweetie Natural Rubber Pacifier
The Sweetie organic rubber pacifiers are made as one piece and contain symmetrical round nipples to mimic a mother’s breast.
- 100% pure natural rubber pacifier soft and natural Rounded nipple
- Safe one piece design
- No BPA, nitrosamines, PVC, phthalates, chemical softeners, or artificial dyes
- Conforms standard EN1400 Pacifier
- How To Look And Feel Pretty Without Makeup
- Best Mineral Sunscreens For Babies And Kids | 2023 Edition
- First Holy Communion Suit For Boys Review
- Bee And You Skincare Products: Honest Review
- Best Sustainable Smartphone For Kids: Teracube Thrive