The First Sustainable And Safe Smart Phone For Kids That’s EASY For Parents To Set Up And Monitor Remotely
This post contains affiliate links which may earn Eco Mom Diaries a commission.
Is your child ready for a smartphone? It is a big decision for any parent to make, and there are many factors to consider.
Before making the decision, it is important to think about your child’s maturity level, how responsible they are, and how much access to the internet they should have.
Additionally, it is important to discuss the potential consequences of owning a smartphone, such as cyberbullying, online predators, and the potential for addiction.
By the time you consider all these factors, you can make an informed decision about whether or not your child is ready for a smartphone.
But wait!! What if your child had a smartphone that prevented cyberbullying, allowed you to set healthy screen limits, AND it didn’t require difficult setup?
What if this smartphone already came pre-programmed with safety settings so that even the most tech-illiterate parent could feel confident about their child’s use and safety?
Well, this type of phone DOES exist, and it allows you to set up and monitor everything from the convenience of your phone with an easy to use app.
Reasons To Consider Getting Your Child A Phone (Based On Personal Experience As A Mom)
There are many benefits to allowing your child to have a smart phone, and they don’t involve social media. For example, kids can access educational apps to supplement their learning, stay organized with reminders and to-do lists, and play [timed] apps/ games as rewards.
I recently got my 9 year old son his own kid-friendly smartphone, and I did so for the following reasons:
- I had already been letting him use an old IPhone of mine and he was able to play games on it during outings where it got a little boring (like in a waiting room at his doctor’s appt, or long drives, etc).
- Regular phones cannot be configured to be 100% safe, and kids can still browse whatever they want, access certain free apps and you can’t set screen timers that automatically shut off an app or internet site.
- Smartphones are no different than an iPad, and they’re more portable (I am able to carry it around in my purse and can hand it to him during certain times (mentioned above).
- When we go on vacations or to the local beach, he is able to take his own photos, and I love seeing how creative he gets with photography.
- When he gets older and is able to walk home from school on his own, I’ll be able to stay in touch with him and track his location.
- He is able to use his smartphone as an alarm clock to wake himself up for school which helps foster responsibility.
Which Smartphone Is Best For Kids?
There are a few really great smartphones for kids on the market, but there is one that really stands out, and it’s the Teracube Thrive sustainable smartphone for kids.
The Teracube Thrive is a tailor-made smartphone for kids ages 8-17, and has an easy 2-minute setup that can be done remotely from mom’s phone. So even if you and your child are apart, you can still set timers, approve apps, and monitor your child’s activities in real time.
The Teracube Thrive is also a sustainable choice because it is designed to last a lifetime. It is made with a blend of recycled and quality materials that are built to last, and periodic updates mean that you don’t have to keep spending money on upgrades (in other words, this smartphone grows with your child).
What’s Included With The Phone?
- Teracube Thrive smartphone
- USB-C charging cable
- Protective case
- Tempered glass screen protector (pre-installed)
- Teracube Wireless SIM card (pre-installed)
- Quick start guide
How Much Does Teracube Thrive Cost?
If you’re considering buying the Teracube Thrive smartphone for kids, you can purchase just the phone for $199 (and use your own network), OR you can purchase the smartphone along with the Teracube wireless plan which is powered by T-Mobile and save $50, as this knocks the price down to $150.
If you choose the phone along with the T-Mobile plan, the network fee is only $14.99 per month (other phones like Gab, charge around $29.99)—So this is actually quite affordable.
Is this a good deal overall? Well, considering that certain smartphones cost over $1k, this is literally a steal—especially since it lasts a lifetime and comes with a lifetime warranty. You can also have a cracked screen repaired for a flat fee of $45 (free repairs for technical and physical malfunctions on their part).
Features of the T-Mobile Bundle
- Nationwide coverage – powered by T-Mobile
- Unlimited talk & text plans starting at $14.99 / mo
- 1st month free (Bonus)
- Forever Premium Warranty (Bonus)
- No contracts. Cancel anytime!
Teracube Thrive Specs
|Dimensions||155.2mm x 73.3mm x 10.1mm|
|Display||6.1” HD+ IPS Display|
|Colors||Black & Green|
|Processor||MediaTek Helio A25 Octa-Core processor 1.8Ghz|
|Battery||Replaceable 4000mAh battery|
|Rear Camera||13 + 8 MP|
|Ports||Headphone Jack, USB-C Port, Dedicated Dual SIM|
|Operating System||Thrive OS (Powered by Android)|
|Security||PIN, pattern, fingerprint, and face unlock|
Why Is The Teracube Thrive Better Than Other Kid-Friendly Smartphones?
In my opinion, the Teracube Thrive beats the competition because it’s more affordable than other phones, it’s extremely user friendly, it saves you money in the long run, and it’s great for the environment because it lasts a lifetime, and is made with recycled parts.
So if you’re looking for a safe smartphone that also allows you to lower your carbon footprint, this is it.
I also love this smartphone because if you have a difficult or willful child, this phone provides a great opportunity for them to learn how to compromise and practice patience.
They can still view certain apps or websites with a healthy limit, and you, the parent, does not look like the bad guy. In other words, no more having to scream “GET OFF YOUR PHONE!”
This smartphone also makes a great transitional object to adulthood when it comes to tweens and teens. According to Katie Davis, author of Technology’s Child, “the phone is a way for parents to give their children some autonomy in their physical movements, while keeping close track of those movements”.
By the way, if you are indeed a parent who is technology-illiterate and need a good book on understanding technology’s role in the ages and stages of growing up, I highly recommend Katie’s book, Technology’s Child. This book dives into cyberbullying, understanding smartphones, video games and more.
So if you’re ready to purchase a safe smartphone for your child, tween or teen, I highly recommend that you consider the Teracube Thrive. This smartphone is available directly on the Teracube website, as well as Amazon.
- 10 Creative Ways To Reuse Your Bamboo Toothbrush
- Best Eco-Friendly Baby Shower Gifts | 2023 Edition
- Best Eco-Friendly Disposable Diapers [That Actually Don’t Leak]
- Best Non-Toxic Car Seats Without Flame Retardants In 2023
- 5 Best Natural Insect Repellents For Kids | 2023 Edition