Our Guide To The Top 5 Non-Toxic Facial Moisturizers For A Safe Pediatric Skincare Routine
This post contains affiliate links which may earn Eco Mom Diaries a commission.
Shopping for an all-natural face cream to go along with your child’s non toxic facial cleanser? You’ve come to the right place!
Many parents wonder if facial moisturizers are an appropriate addition to a child’s skincare routine because it’s considered by many to be an “unnecessary luxury”. However, there are many benefits to having your child use moisturizers and we’ll talk about them below.
With that said, we’ve also put together a shopping guide to the safest all-natural face creams that are made specifically for children and their delicate skin.
Why Do Kids Need Moisturizers?
A child’s night time skincare routine should include a bath with a gentle facial cleanser, followed by application of a moisturizer—and there are several benefits to incorporating this routine.
- Children have thinner skin than adults, making it vulnerable to environmental elements. Adding a moisturizer adds a barrier.
- Babies and young children don’t have the natural protective oils that teens and adults do, making their skin more prone to drying out and making skin conditions like eczema worse. Pediatric facial creams help add moisture and soothe dry skin.
- Children lose moisture in their skin after washing their face, and a moisturizer is a great way to re-hydrate their skin.
Why Can’t I Just Use Lotion On My Child’s Face?
Many parents wonder if they can just use lotion on their child’s face following a bath or facial cleanser. And while you certainly can, it’s important to know the difference between the two and how each affects the skin.
- Lotions have higher water content than face creams, which means that while they spread more easily, they also evaporate quicker.
- Face creams are thicker and have more oil content, which means that the barrier they create stays on longer, and keep your child’s skin from drying out faster.
- Body lotion may also contain fragrance that can irritate your child’s face, especially if they aren’t hypoallergenic.
How To Choose The Right Face Cream For Young Children
When it comes to natural face creams for adolescents, there are several important key features you should look for to make sure that the moisturizer is truly non-toxic:
- Free of harsh chemicals such as sulfates, parabens and phthalates
- Non-greasy formula
- Hypoallergenic with natural fragrance or fragrance-free
- A combination of all-natural and organic ingredients
- Vegan and cruelty free
Now, if your child is starting puberty (usually age 8 for girls and age 9 for boys), they may start producing more facial oil on their own, and some face creams may clog pores and create acne.
In that case, it’s important to choose a cream that’s noncomedogenic—meaning it’s specifically designed to not clog pores but is still able to moisturize and hydrate the skin.
It’s also important to know that many natural face creams contain tree nuts, seeds and soy as ingredients, so if your child is allergic to any of these, please use caution (get advice from your pediatrician or do a spot test).
With that said, below are 5 of the most effective yet gentle pediatric facial moisturizers for kids that are perfect to use with their natural facial cleansers.
They’re great for all skin types, and even help with skin conditions such as adolescent acne and eczema without clogging pores.
Best Non Toxic Moisturizers For Kids
1. Evereden Kids Multi-Vitamin Face Cream
The Evereden Mega Vitamin Complex is noncomedogenic and formulated with niacinamide and ceramides to help skin retain moisture, hydrate balance, and soothe sensitive skin during adolescent years without clogging pores.
Evereden products are available on Amazon, but if you purchase on their official website, you can get 10% off on your first order when you sign up for their email list. Sometimes they even have cool offers like free gifts when you purchase a certain amount.
- 100% natural fragrance
- Contains essential omegas, amino acids, and vitamins
- Formulated with niacinamide and ceramides
- Contains a blend of natural and organic ingredients
2. Natural Organic Family Face Cream For kids
The Natural and Organic Family Kids Face Moisturizer Cream has be named winner of the 2021 Janey Loves Award. It works especially great for conditions like eczema, psoriasis, rosacea and adolescent acne because it soothes and hydrates while tackling bacteria—so pores won’t ever clog.
We own this particular face cream and it smells lovely. It’s also very moisturizing yet not greasy, so my four year old daughter loves it as well. She feels very much like a big kid putting it on all by herself.
See my full review of The Natural Organic Family Skincare products here!
- Infused with nourishing strawberry and cranberry extracts to help soothe and calm inflamed skin
- Contains a wide range of vitamins to nourish the skin
- Combined with tea tree leaf oil it provides anti-bacterial properties that help tackle acne
- Works for all skin types
3. California Kids Super Clear Overnight Moisturizing Cream
The California Kids overnight cream helps improve the appearance of problem skin while also soothing redness. Made only with gentle ingredients, and perfect for all skin types, including sensitive skin and those with adolescent acne.
- Works great for adolescent acne prone skin
- Contains plant-based emollients, pure organic calendula extract, coconut oil, and zinc oxide which revitalize, soothe, and improve the appearance of irritated skin
- Beautifully scented with the pure essential oils of French lavender and tea tree
4. KidSkin Gentle Skin Moisturizer
The KidSkin Gentle Skin moisturizer is great for little kids, preteens and teens. In fact, this moisturizer was initially developed for a six year old with problematic acne. This moisturizer is non-greasy, non-comedogenic and packs enough power to calm and soothe dry skin conditions.
- Contains antioxidants and peptides
- Targets sensitive, irritated and compromised skin conditions
- Offers the perfect balance of hydration and lightweight consistency
- Safe for all skin types
5. TruKid Lavender Face Cream
TruKid Lavender Cream safely calms and hydrates kids’ sensitive skin. Though suitable for all skin types, it’s especially great for problematic skin such as eczema, and contains a subtle lavender scent to promote relaxation. It goes on smooth, and can be applied to the entire body.
- Contains a natural blend of natural blend of sunflower, aloe, allantoin, shea and cocoa butters
- Contains a fresh lavender scent to help soothe and relax
- Made with naturally-derived ingredients such as sunflower, aloe, allantoin, shea and cocoa butters
- Suitable for all skin types