Breathable Face Masks For Back To School That Provide Excellent Coverage For Little Faces
This post contains affiliate links which may earn us a commission.
It’s that time of year again where kids need face masks for back to school—including my own.
With the Omicron variant spreading rapidly across the country, schools are requiring that children wear face masks both in school and on the bus—which ensures that they stay protected from possible exposure to Covid-19.
But, not all masks are created equal, and some are down right uncomfortable because they don’t fit properly—making them ineffective. That’s why it’s important to invest in a reusable face mask that not only has essential features recommended by the CDC, but also positive reviews by previous customers. It’s also important to go for functionality over cute aesthetics.
Essential Face Mask Features
According to the CDC, face masks should have two or more layers of breathable and washable fabric. They should snugly cover the nose and mouth leaving no gaps, and should contain a nose wire to prevent air from escaping from the top—which, if you wear eye glasses, can result in condensation forming on your lenses.
Eye Glass Wearers
The very first time that I bought my son a reusable mask, I went for “cute” instead of functional. He really wanted a Wall-E mask, so I went on Etsy and found one that he really liked. However, when it arrived and he put it on, he could barely breathe, and his glasses fogged nonstop.
Needless to say, I learned from that mistake.
And this year, I did a ton of research on face mask ‘anatomy’ and found a mask that not only fits my child’s face properly, but also doesn’t fog up his eyeglass lenses.
The reusable face mask that I initially purchased was flat, single layered, didn’t have a nose bridge wire, didn’t have a filter, and the fabric produced a lot of condensation. Children need the exact opposite—especially if they wear glasses.
The face mask that works best for my eyeglass wearing child is curved and snug with a nose bride wire and adjustable ear loops. The face mask is also made of moisture wicking fabric which produces less condensation, and contains a replaceable filter (it’s the first mask listed below by HaloLife).
Pro Mom Tip: You can also place a bandaid on top of the nose bridge for extra closure to keep air from rising if you still find that your child’s eye glasses fog even with a mask that contains a nose bridge wire. It also works to help hold a mask in place that is a little too loose.
Below are my top face mask recommendations for children based on what my son wears. These reusable masks also contain features that are recommended by the CDC and have very positive reviews.
*They may not fit toddlers and preschoolers with tiny faces*
I also recommend hand-washing (or washing on a gentle cycle) and air drying face masks, as cloth face masks tend to shrink in the dryer.
HaloLife Face Masks
HALOLIFE is perhaps one of the best masks on the market right now due to their trademarked nanofilter technology.
The nanofilters within these face masks are composed of strands that are smaller than a strand of hair, capturing the tiniest of particles and pathogens while still allowing the maximum airflow. The masks also contain moisture wicking bamboo lining which greatly reduces condensation—great for eyeglass wearers.
*They sell out quickly—but you can try size adult small for bigger kids!*
- Sizing: Fits most kids between 3 and 12 years old
- Includes 1 replaceable HALO Nanofilter™ good for 200+ hours.
- Replaceable latex nose pad prevents fogging and air leak
- Chin wrap provides an air-tight seal
- Super-breathable Cotton (92%) with Spandex (8%) for flex and durability
- Soft moisture-wicking lining is ultra-comfortable, even for long wear
- Adjustable embedded nose clip and ear-loops make a perfect fit
- Antibacterial and hypoallergenic materials used
Inexgear The Better Mask for Kids™
The Inexgear Better Mask For Kids provides 3 layers of protection and is strategically tailored to avoid obstructing your vision and designed to accommodate glasses. The mask includes an integrated chin cup while fitting comfortable under the chin.
- Real protection – Nanofiber filtration and antimicrobial treatment.
- Comfortable fit – Secure-but-not-restrictive, with a soft, customizable nose bridge, and adjustable ear loops with toggles for added comfort.
- Outer layer – highly breathable INEXSHELL™ 100% cotton fabric with antimicrobial treatment.
- INEXSHIELD – 100% nanofiber filtration helps block harmful airborne contaminants.
- Inner layer – 100% polyester fabric with antimicrobial treatment is soft, moisture-wicking and cooling for next-to-face comfort.
Masked For School
The Masked For School face masks are reusable and eco-friendly. The outer layer of these masks are made with RecycleveTM (100% certified recycled polyester fabric) to help keep waste out of landfills.
- High-tech material: Made with an innovative material that has been tested for quality.
- 3 layers: Inner layer is made with absorbent polyester with antibacterial material sewn in, the middle layer is a 100% cotton/polyester lining, and the outer layer is made of non-absorbent Recycleve™, 100% recycled polyester.
- Meets World Health Organization mask standards: 3-layers, breathable, absorbent inner layer, and non-absorbent outer layer
- Antibacterial layer: Made with zinc oxide that destroys bacteria and the antibacterial material maintains its effectiveness after multiple washes.
- Water-resistant: Prevents your face mask from getting soaked. The water resistance level will be maintained for up to 20 to 30 washes and the mask dries quickly. The mask can still be used in dry conditions after 20 to 30 washes.
- Adjustable ear loops: Provides more comfort and helps close any gaps around the face.
- Nose bridge: Creates a better fit around your face.
Mask By Design
Mask By Design is another top notch, excellent quality face mask brand for youth that comes in over 40 designs.
These kids face masks contain three layers of fabric which provides extra protection against dust and particles. The inner layer is 100% cotton for comfort and breathability. The middle & outer layers are 95% Polyester and 5% Spandex.
These face masks for kids also contain a side pocket for filter insertion, adjustable ear loops and an adjustable nose bridge wire. (Filters are sold separately, but do not prevent the masks from doing their job as the mask contains a triple layer of protection).
CoRevival Face Masks
CoRevival face masks for kids have a really unique design and they’re especially great face masks for kids with eyeglasses.
These face masks contain a nose flap that adds extra protection, keeps the masks from sliding down, and keeps condensation from forming on eyeglass lenses.
In addition to the nose flap feature, these face masks for kids are made from soft and hypoallergenic cotton, contain adjustable ear loops and are lightweight and breathable.
Stephen Joseph Face Masks
These face masks for kids by Stephen Joseph offer triple layer protection and contain a super soft cotton lining which is great for children with sensory issues.
The Stephen Joseph masks contain an adjustable nose bridge wire as well as adjustable ear loops. They also come with a filter pocket and reusable zipper pouch with a handy carabiner to keep it clean when not on your face.
Woplagyreat Face Masks
The Woplagyreat face masks for kids are another great brand with great quality, breathable face masks that offer 3 layers of protection.
These cotton face masks contain an adjustable nose bridge wire and adjustable ear loops for a comfortable and secure fit.
These face masks for kids also come in a set of 4 which is great because your child can rotate the different designs while you wash the others.